Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Declawing -- No big deal or animal cruelty?

When we adopted Harley over the holidays it was a no-brainer that we would get him neutered. However, the issue of whether or not to have him de-clawed was another matter.  Before I became an Advisor for Petlane I wouldn't have given de-clawing another thought...I would have scheduled the surgery and been done with it.  However, I know that Petlane had donated money to a group that assisted animals who had been harmed by the procedure, and we have had discussions during training calls on alternatives to the procedure. Clearly I needed to give this a further look.

Our reasons for choosing to declaw were of benefit to the humans in our family. With my cat allergy (which is getting better by the way), scratches became welts that itched. Family and friends warned that our furniture would be ruined. Carpets would be destroyed. Was that enough?

But what are the cons of having a cat de-clawed. Well, when I hear that term I picture the removal of claws. Kind of like an extreme version of fingernail clipping. Then I learned that it is the equivalent of removing up to the first knuckle on our fingers. Not a fingernail trimming at all...but an amputation. There are some schools of thoughts that the procedure can cause behavioral changes, make cats more prone to biting, and cause problems with litter box usage. (of course, to be fair, there are just as many people to say those things never happen).

Harley has his claws and will keep them. Yes, I will need to figure out the best way to trim his nails on a regular basis. Yes, I will need to buy a new Yoga mat at some point as my current one is his favorite scratching spot. I may even need to invest in a scratching post at some point. But I won't have to worry that our cuddly kitten who loves to be  held may become aloof. I don't need to worry that he will start biting. I don't have to worry that he may become maimed in an elective surgery gone wrong (or worse, after all every time under anesthesia presents its own risks).  Will I glare at people who choose differently from me, or stand on a soapbox and preach the evils of the procedure? No, this is all the preachng you get. Just keep in mind the pros and cons, and then make the best decision for you AND your cat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment