Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What are you feeding your pets?

 
I'll admit it.  Before I became an advisor with Petlane, I purchased any random dog food on the shelf at the store. Sure, I made myself feel better by getting something with "Select" in the title, but I really didn't do any research on what I was feeding my dog.  Now I know better.

But, after chatting with a friend on Facebook last night, I realized that not everyone has this information. She mentioned that her dog had been scratching alot and that they thought it was allergy-related. When I found out that she was feeding her dog a lower quality food I realized that could be the problem. Now, I'm not saying everyone has to go out and buy Petlane's Pure Woof or Pure Purr foods (although it would be great if they did!), but as consumers we should be aware of what to look for. So, thanks to some training material I have received, this is what you should keep in mind when shopping for pet food.

When Buying Pet Food:
  1. A high-quality protein should be in the first five ingredients. This does NOT include by-products (and if you really want to know what that is, I'm happy to tell you)
  2. Look for high quality carbohydrates. Avoid "flours" as they are processed. 
  3. Healthy fats are good. Generic fats are bad. Animal fat as an ingredient? What animal? Blech.
  4. Vitamins are good for pets too!
  5. Artificial preservatives?  Sure....if you want your pet eating chemicals.
Take a look at the first five ingredients when you are shopping for pet food. They make up the bulk of the ingredients and will give you a good picture of the nutritional value.

If you would like to see how your food compares to our Pure Woof and Pure Pure, please contact me and I will try to get a comparison for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment